Howell is located at the southern end of Monmouth County. Formed in 1801, Territory was taken from Shrewsbury Township. Howell initially included what are now the towns of Wall, Brick, Lakewood and others. Howell was named after Richard Howell, New Jersey’s third governor. The Manasquan River was a major transportation route, roadways were built to connect farms with the Manasquan River for transportation of goods. The roadways which are now Route 9 and Route 33 were based upon old Lenape Indian trails. Stagecoach service started in the 1850s along Route 524, which is still called Stagecoach Rd in some areas. Early industry in Howell included an iron works company, brick production, agriculture, marl (an early form of fertilizer) and poultry. In the 1930s Monmouth County was the leading egg producer in the country. A major egg producing facility is still in operation in Howell. Parts of Naval Weapons Station Earle are located in Howell.
©  · www.BunnyandArt.com.